Monday, August 12, 2013

Oceans Deep

A few months ago, I was struggling with debilitating anxiety. The truth is... I've been struggling with anxiety most of my life.

Once, when I was little, I broke something. It probably cost $5 at the supermarket, but suddenly it became the most precious thing on earth. I wanted desperately to close my eyes and open them to a miracle. Alas, I was left to throw away the remains and hide in bed for the rest of the day.

I agonized over this broken object for days. Of course, it wasn't the broken object that was causing me stress... it was the aftermath. What was going to happen to me?

The aftermath, of course, was my mother totally downplaying the significance of the object. I had been anxiety ridden for days over something that no one else cared about.

God has said, 

"Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." 

So we say with confidence, 

"The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?"

Heb 13: 5, 6

God speaks to us all throughout the Bible about trusting Him... about relinquishing our control over situations, things, and people. We were never meant to be perfect. We were meant to trust in a perfect God. Yet, perfection has become the standard.

As a woman, a musician, an oldest child...perfection looms in the distance constantly. My father always says that anxiety is the difference between where we are, and where we think we need to be.

Where we are (or where we should be) is in the center of God's will. His command is to love Him with all of our heart, soul, and mind. Everything else is in His hands.

Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

Malachi 3:10

This is a song that they played at my church a few months ago, in the eye of my storm. It spoke to me for weeks. I hope it will speak to you...